Psych 594 - Intersections in Mind-Brain Research
April 3 - Adrian Jaeggi's Lecture on Comparative Cognition
- Call & Tomasello (2008) Does the chimpanzee have a theory of mind? 30 years later. Trends Cogn Sci.
- MacLean et al. (2012) How does cognition evolve? Phylogenetic comparative psychology. Anim Cogn.
- Emery & Clayton (2004) The mentality of crows: convergent evolution of intelligence in corvids and apes. Science.
April 10 - Adrian Jaeggi's Lecture on Intelligence, Brain Size, and Evolution
- Reader & Laland (2002) Social intelligence, innovation, and enhanced brain size in primates. PNAS.
- Healey & Rowe (2007) A critique of comparative studies of brain size. Proc Biol Sci.
April 17 - Gary Lewis' Lecture on Behavioral Genetics and the Twin Design
- Alford et al. (2005) Are political orientations genetically transmitted? American Political Science Review.
- Charney (2008) Genes and ideologies. Perspectives on Politics.
April 24 - Gary Lewis' Lecture on Genetics and Politics
- Munafo & Flint (2011) Dissecting the genetic architecture of human personality. Trends Cogn Sci.
- Smith et al. (2011) Linking genetics and political attitudes. Political Psychology.
May 1 - Fabian Soto's Lecture on Computational Neuroscience
- Ashby & Helie (2011) A tutorial on computation cognitive neuroscience. Journal of Mathematical Psychology
- Serre et al. (2007) A feedforward architecture accounts for rapid categorization. PNAS.
- Maia & Frank (2011) From reinforcement learning models to psychiatric and neurological disorders. Nat Neurosci.
May 8 - Fabian Soto's Lecture on Bayesian Models
- Griffiths et al. (2010) Probabilistic models of cognition: exploring representations and inductive biases. Trends Cogn Sci.
- Lochman & Deneve (2011) Neural processing as causal inference. Curr Opin Neurobiol.
May 15 - Network Science & Neuroscience
- Bullmore & Sporns (2009) Complex brain networks: graph theoretical analysis of structural and functional systems. Nat Rev Neurosci.
- Butts (2009) Revisiting the foundations of network analysis. Science.
- Stumpf & Porter (2012) Mathematics. Critical truths about power laws. Science.
- Networks: An Introduction (2010) by M. E. J. Newman
- Networks of the Brain (2010) by O. Sporns
- Statistical Mechanics of Complex Networks (2002) by R. Albert and A. Barabasi
May 22 - Dynamical Systems & Neuroscience
- Meyer-Lindenberg et al. (2002) Transitions between dynamical states of differing stability in the human brain. PNAS.
- Briggman, Abarbanel & Kristan (2005) Optical imaging in neuronal populations during decision-making. Science.
- Dynamical Systems in Neuroscience (2007) by Izhikevich
- Mathematical Foundations of Neuroscience (2010) by Ermentrout & Terman
- Complex and Adaptive Dynamical Systems: A Primer (2011) by Gros
Recent Educational Presentations
The UCLA Advanced Neuroimaging Summer Program 2011 Los Angeles, CA
Complex Network Analysis in Neuroimaging July 2011
UC Santa Barbara Course Lecture, "Special Topics" psy594LN Santa Barbara, CA
Understanding Complexity in the Human Brain April 18, 2011
Society for Neuroscience Short Course San Diego, CA
Complex Network Analysis in Clinical Neuroscience Nov 12, 2010
The UCLA Advanced Neuroimaging Summer Program 2010 Los Angeles, CA
Complex Network Analysis in Neuroimaging July 20, 2010
The 4th APCTP-KAIST School for Brain Dynamics Daejeon, South Korea
Clinical Network Neuroscience December 12, 2009
Past Teaching Experience
Supervisor of Physics 1A for the University of Cambridge 2005-2009
Clare, Kings and Churchill Colleges
Laboratory Teaching Assistant 2002-2004
Pennsylvania State University
Tutor for undergraduate math and physics 2000-2002
Pennsylvania State University